We are often asked whether you can use sauna with children. Of course you are allowed to, because the family wellness area should be fun for the whole family and not just the parents.
Enjoy it the right way
Babies and small children can take sauna baths. Finland is the sauna nation number one and it is very common there to take sauna baths with children. It is recommended to take babies from 4 months of age to the sauna and not earlier.
Important rules to make sauna with your baby really fun:
- you and the baby have to be healthy
- do not do sauna directly after a meal or too long without one. 2 hours after a meal should be perfect
- the temperature should be max. 75° C
- humidity should not be more than 15%
- the first few times do not stay more than 3 minutes
- leave the sauna as soon as you notice that your baby does not feel very well
The cool down phase is very important. You either go on fresh air or take a quick bath including a colder stream of water (temperature should be between 24 and 26° C).
Sauna with older kids
When the kids grow a little bit older they better handle the temperature at a sauna. From 5 years on kids can take as much sauna as adults. But still you should pay special attention while taking a sauna bath with your kids.
Do not try to convince the kids do sauna against their will or longer then they want to!